AAP Open Forum

communities_1.jpg
  • 1.  Board Recruitment

Posted 05-01-2023 10:34

If any of our members have been directly involved in Board Recruitment or work directly with their Board of Directors,  I was wondering if you could share your processes for advertisement, application, interviewing, etc.

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Betsy Rouw
    Administrative Assistant
    Haldimand Family Health Team

• 2.  RE: Board Recruitment

Posted 05-02-2023 07:24

Hi Betsy,

I work with our Board of Directors.  Typically we put a call out to members in the member bulletin a couple months prior to the annual meeting identifying any board positions that will be available, asking for expressions of interest to be submitted.  The EOI's are then reviewed by our Nominations Committee and recommended to the Board for membership.  The names are brought to the annual meeting for approval by the members. For executive positions, such as President-Elect, Board Chair or Treasurer, there may be an interview process, and may involve external HR support, depending on the amount of interest in the positions. 

It seems the last two or three years, we have had less interest in board or committee positions which may be an effect of this pandemic/post pandemic world we are now in and everyone seems to be maxed out.  

Donna Lamont
    Membership Coordinator/Office Manager
    Medical Society of PEI

• 3.  RE: Board Recruitment

Posted 05-02-2023 07:49

Hi Betsy, 

I work with our Board of Directors as well. Typically when the membership runs low, we will activate the Recruitment Committee who, along with our CEO, will review our Board matrix to see what talent is missing or low in the Board, then they will draft a letter of interest directed to the Community Partners they wish to recruit from (i.e. Finance - may mean directed to CPA's or Banks). We have also been advertising on Facebook and Linked In. Once there are some interested parties and the EA (me) has forwarded them the application form which would then be returned to the Recruitment committee, the committee reviews the candidates and conducts interviews. They will then recommend the candidates of choice to the full board, bring them to a Board meeting as a guest then the board files a resolution to bring them onto the Board of Directors. 

Sylvie Leblanc
    Executive Assistant
    Canadian Mental Health Association - Sudbury/Manitoulin

• 4.  RE: Board Recruitment

Posted 05-02-2023 08:42

Would you be able to share your application and any written processes?

Betsy Rouw
    Administrative Assistant
    Haldimand Family Health Team

• 5.  RE: Board Recruitment

Posted 05-03-2023 10:17

Hi Betsy, 

Yes, here are the application (thanks to CMHA Simcoe who created the original document) and the letters to Community Partners. 

Sylvie

Sylvie Leblanc
    Executive Assistant
    Canadian Mental Health Association - Sudbury/Manitoulin

Attachment(s)

• 6.  RE: Board Recruitment

Posted 05-05-2023 11:08

Good morning,

I also work with our Board of Directors.  Annually we send out a Call for Nominations which includes an application form, list of Board duties, and listing of the skills being sought for the upcoming term (2 years).  The skills are identified through our Nominations & Governance Committee via a skill set matrix we use to track our Governors' skill sets.  Through review of the matrix and upcoming work, the Committee assesses any gaps and identifies the skill set(s) required for the coming term.

We share the Call on social media, via our website, with the current Board/ past Board members, our partners and other stakeholders.  Election of the Board occurs at our AGM annually.

Best,

Gail Brooks
    Executive Assistant to the CEO
    MNP Community & Sport Centre