AAP Open Forum

communities_1.jpg
  • 1.  Boosting morale in the office

Posted 11-03-2022 13:28
    What do you do, as your office's administrative assistant, to boost morale?

------------------------------
    Jenn Ward
    Administrative Assistant

• 2.  RE: Boosting morale in the office

Posted 11-04-2022 08:14
    Hello Jenn,

My Mom always said, "The best way to someone's heart was with food." Regularly scheduled monthly potlucks bring people together to chat and provides time for them to get to know each other. At my previous workplace, the office which had regular potluck lunches, where people brought in either their family favourite dish or an ethic dish, had the best relationships with each other and they collaborated better together on projects. Managers, HR, Owners, all participated in bringing something in. Another office where I currently work, bought a top quality countertop oven and they bake cookies every Friday (the smell through out the office is amazing). They use the pails of frozen cookie dough to make them.

Wishing you all the best in boosting your teams morale,
    Holly

Holly Bartell
    Office Administrator
    Boeing Canada Ltd.
    613-716-8095

• 3.  RE: Boosting morale in the office

Posted 11-04-2022 12:01
    What I normally do to boost morale among my colleagues, are:
    1. Sharing some fun memories of each person in past events
    2.  Sharing of finger foods or candies with colleagues

Doris Ahuchama
    Reform Facilitator
    Foreign, Commonwealth ad Deelopment Office - PERL Program
    909-392-7785

• 4.  RE: Boosting morale in the office

Posted 11-08-2022 08:29
    At my last work place, I always made a point to plan special events.
    We did a chili cookoff in January and had a judge and then we all got to enjoy a chili lunch.  Prize was usually something small like a $10 gift card.
    For breast cancer awareness month, we had a pink day where you were invited to wear pink to work and at lunch we played bingo using pink bingo chips and served pink cupcakes.  
    These are just a couple of examples, but most times it is the little things that people love.  
    Of course my boss was very supportive of everything I planned and I always ran it through him first.

Sharon Crowe
    Board Liaison & Executive Assistant
    Stevenson Memorial Hospital

• 5.  RE: Boosting morale in the office

Posted 11-08-2022 10:49
    Our organization has a Wellness budget but found that having a committee wasn't the best approach. Instead of a select few people, such as the AAs and EAs, doing all the work - the offer was extended to all employees to pick a month for an activity they would like to run (by themselves or with a partner). Idea and budget is approved by a designate. We are in our 2nd year of doing this and it is a great success. Activity can be remote or in person. We've done fitness challenges, book clubs, paint events, Christmas ornament making,  and I hear talk of a "learn to play poker" event in the future. Hope that is helpful.

In another vein, my director and I have encouraged our department to use Teams to connect with each other informally. We are now in an hybrid environment so this helps, considering we've lost so much of our organic conversations when we were all together at the office.  A "hi - how are you" goes a long way!

Radmila Minor
    Executive Assistant
    Cdn Society for Medical Laboratory Science
    905-563-3987

• 6.  RE: Boosting morale in the office

Posted 02-15-2023 16:40

Our office has a committee committed to this. Our main focus is health and wellness. We encourage movement throughout the day, host lunch and learns, celebrate, and have office initiatives. It's been a great success!

Cheers,

Caitlyn

Caitlyn Hamblin
    Executive Assistant
    Lindsay Construction